Shield: From the Provincial Seal of Ilocos Sur where the town is located.

Anchor: Municipality is a coastal town with its port at Barangay Pandan which had been serving as a Port of Entry to the whole province from the Spanish Regime up to the early 1950's and during all these times, the main source of livelihood of the people was "seamanship / sailoring." It was in Caoayan where big wooden sailboats and boat builders were found / abound during those times. This means of transportation was the fastest then and traveled from Aparri in the North to the Visayan Islands in the South.